Another sure sign of summer is Camp Liberty. Last Wednesday we braved some incredible heat and humidity for our kickoff event – an excursion to Grant’s Berry Patch. We managed to get in on the
last week of strawberries which also happened to be the first week of blueberries. The kids ran up and down the fields dumping their containers into our flats, and before long we were out of there with more berries than even I was sure what to do with.
(Just kidding – I’m not sure how many that would take, but I don’t think I want to find out.)The berry delicacies that have since graced our home include
Buttermilk and Lemon-Scented Pancakes with Blueberry Syrup, Debbi Field’s strawberry shortcake, and scads of jam. I can’t get over the succulence of fresh, local berries. What a pleasure to catch those flavors to enjoy all year long.
But back to camp – yesterday was the first day of the first of two week-long sessions for this summer. With Jessica the kids learned all about Abraham Lincoln and his fight to free the slaves. Today was a Susan B. Anthony fest at our house. We talked all about Anthony’s
crusade for women’s rights and what we can do to make a difference in our world today. The kids exercised their right to vote on a lunch menu, then organized their own peaceful protest in the yard. Each highlighted an issue where they want to see change. We had a great time!
3 comments:
I love your camp video -- so cute! You are so amazing with all that you do with your kids. This is really a trivial question, but where did you get your t-shirts printed, and who designed them? We would like to design t-shirts for our family reunion this year, but none of us have done it. Thanks!
A friend in the ward has a silkscreen setup, and she did them for us based on a design done by one of the moms.
I've also done iron-on T-shirts using transfers from Michael's you print from your computer (see http://jonesct.blogspot.com/2009/08/birthday-boy-1.html). With these you can use as many colors as you like. Not a great solution for lots of small images or lots of shirts, though.
Elise, I am so inspired by Camp Liberty here. I wish Esra had been old enough and/or able enough to participate when we were there. So, we carry on. We are learning the Pledge of Allegiance and braving the AZ heat to do our own little outings and learnings. Now to get my hands on my own Yudu!
Post a Comment