The other day Arwen gave me a puzzled look and asked, “Is this summer, Mom?” In her mind, June and sunny days together spell summer, and I can’t disagree. Who cares what the calendar says or that school’s still in session?And what better way to enjoy summer than roasting hotdogs in your own back yard? (I also find it a great way to avoid cooking on days when the garden seeps up too much of my time.)
One night last week found us gathered around the fire pit, downing corn on the cob, baked beans, and oven fries with our favorite Hebrew National dogs. And naturally, we had to top it off with s’mores.Before the first bite, Gavin and Arwen had started a campaign to camp out in the back yard. I did my best to pass the buck (“You’ll have to ask your father”), and Chad did not disappoint! After "sleeping" out with them I think it will be awhile before he
considers another campout on a school night.Last year nearing the fourth of July I realized it was about time to be picking strawberries. Given how late it was in an already bad season we didn’t end up with many, and I was determined to start earlier this year. One morning last week
Arwen and I ventured into the fields at Scott’s Yankee Farmer, where in a few minutes we had a couple of quarts of berries. That day’s after-school snack was strawberry popsicles, and I couldn’t resist cutting the edge of leftovers night with strawberry shortcake. It was heavenly!At Gavin’s last baseball game of the season Friday night he was a real star,
pulling off both his hits on the first pitch. We celebrated the skills he has built this season with ice cream sundaes after the game.Saturday we joined several other members of our congregation at the Boston Temple while Gavin and Arwen played nearby with some of the kids from our wonderful youth group. Afterward we introduced
Chad to our new favorite Menotomy Rocks Park, where we picnicked and enjoyed swinging on the monkey bars before heading home.Most of Arwen’s and my jaunts through the neighborhood are motivated these days by the need to exercise, but Monday morning our little loop was strictly business. First we stopped at the library book sale where we came away with 15 books for $1.50. Then we toured Farmer Pete’s five greenhouses and finally settled on some
rosemary, sage, mint, and marjoram to round out our front porch herb garden.Field day at school is one of those signs that official summer is just around the corner. This morning's event was made unusually somber, at least for the adults, by the sudden passing of assistant principal Jaret Kulmann last weekend. While clumps of teachers, parents, and staff whispered quiet remembrances, the kids ran, hopped, jumped, and splashed. Having spent most of our time with Gavin’s
class in computer lab this year, Arwen and I enjoyed the change of pace, taking pictures of the kids and cheering them on. Our family is grateful for the tremendous, positive influence of Mr. Kulmann and prays his family will find peace and comfort at this difficult time.
No comments:
Post a Comment