It's a good thing for our kids the family left Ireland several generations ago. At least here they'll eat.Okay, I'm sure we'd find something they'd go for, but it would have to be something other than what we had tonight for our first ever St. Patrick's Day dinner.
We started with Irish Beef Hand Pies, selected for the form factor which I thought was sure to go over well with the younger set. The mixed root vegetables (parsnips, turnips, carrots, and onions) weren't intended to be sensational but a good, solid example of Irish cuisine. And the Irish soda bread, something like a big biscuit, was a fun departure from the norm.
I think Gavin and Arwen managed to get through the meal without taking a bite of anything but the bread. And despite (or perhaps due to) warnings that any hunger pangs later in the evening would be answered with more of the same, they didn't ask for another bite.
To look at the bright side, Chad and I enjoyed the meal. And the kids will get a second chance at developing a taste for Irish fare when we pull out the leftovers.
Happy St. Patrick's Day to all our friends and family, and especially to our Ireland-loving Grandpa and Grandma Mahoney!
3 comments:
Wow! Professional for sure! I would have loved it.
At least the Irish had bread. Kids will always eat that!
Elise--I love your family meals. It's such an important thing. You guys really prioritize it and make it fun--good for you!
Post a Comment