Sunday, January 11, 2009

Visiting Lady Liberty

Even living within a few hours of the Big Apple, we have to make a concerted effort to take in the sites. So we set aside a day of Christmas vacation to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island with some of our good friends. We were off early, munching cinnamon rolls in the cars and chatting up a storm (at least Tricia and I were). We took the subway from the Bronx down to Battery Park and were relieved to arrive just six minutes before our reserved boat to Liberty Island was to depart. One look at Battery Park and our quick jaunt to the pier turned into a 90-minute wait in a blistering wind. (On the bright side, having a reserved ticket saves you from waiting for 3-4 hours on a peak day.)

After braving security we jumped on the boat for a quick ride across New York Bay to Liberty Island, where we were greeted by the Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World, at 305 feet the tallest statue in the world. We marveled at the determination of Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi in securing the support and financing for this gift from France to the American people. We wondered what it must have felt like for millions to see her for the first time after leaving everything behind in their native country. And we were proud of our heritage.

Next stop on the boat was the Ellis Island Immigration Museum, where over 12 million immigrants passed before entering the United States between 1892 and 1924. (We checked but couldn’t find records of any of our ancestors – seems they all came before 1892.) The kids played it up at the craft station and mistook several of the displays for jungle gyms. Tricia and I enjoyed perusing the many photos of the detainees in their native dress and thinking about the huge adventure so many undertook in coming to this country.

What an inspiring and educational day!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, I remember seeing Her for the first time out in the harbor with you when we got to sneak away to Manhattan because your sister was on a mini-mission with us. How fun for you to be able to share that experience with your children.

Jen said...

What a neat opportunity! You live in the best place (but it sounds like you already know that...)

Jessica 7 said...

Seeing the Statue of Liberty in person is an amazing experience! It was freezing cold with blistering winds when I went as well - Brrrr! Next time I go, I don't want to have to wear a coat! :)

Kiasa said...

The next time you venture down here e-mail me and I'll give you some good hints/tips...if you want. i.e. where to find the best food, kid spots, etc. There's always a lot going on for kids, if you know where to look.

P.S. Just found your blog via Kerri Spandoni's blog, via facebook. Looks like you are having fun!

I'm sure you've been to the Mystic Aquarium. One summer I worked the summer camps and it was the best job ever! I love that place! I would highly recommend a week of summer camp there.