During past weeks when it seemed there was little that merited mentioning on the blog, we were deep in preparations for this year's Choir & Creche event at church. As in years past, we lent our nativity scenes from Samoa and the Dominican Republic for the creche display. Back in October I volunteered to head up one of the trees for the new Nativity Forest. ("We'll just do a tree using stuff from Camp Liberty - it'll be a breeze." Sure.)
But most of all, we were deep in music. Back in September an ensemble comprising members of five congregations began rehearsing. It was a grand experiment including three directors, four accompanists, and 18 vocalists. We started out with 13 pieces and a projected 14 hours of rehearsal, which stretched to many more for some of us. In the end we sang a rousing 35-minute program both nights of the event. The music was fabulous, and it was so fun to be part of such a wonderful choir working with such excellent musicians.In addition to managing the ensemble I worked with my friend and excellent soprano Karen on three pieces. What a pleasure to accompany such singing!
The program also gave me an excuse to dust off a piano piece I learned for last year's event - Silent Night in the setting of Debussy's Clair de Lune. I first heard it played two years ago by a now former member of the ward and fell so deeply in love I had to play it myself. It turned out to be more challenging than I'd imagined, but so worth the work. One of my favorite memories of this piece is having Gavin and Arwen beg me to play it for them over the baby monitor as they're going to sleep.
But the biggest Choir & Creche excitement for me was the seven hours of continuous live music. Like last year, we had soloists and small groups, vocalists and instrumentalists from our own congregation, as well as the Pfizer Singers who add such energy and variety to the program. This year we were thrilled to add JuBELLation, a bell choir from St. Luke's Lutheran Church, as well as the Ledyard Carolers from Ledyard High School. Both delivered magnificent performances, the bell choir with the most gorgeous tones and graceful choreography, and the Carolers with their beautiful harmonies, divine messages, and delightful costuming. Plus our friends Nancy and Ben of Rivergods fame shared a wonderful number. Thank you all for joining us!Boy, was all that fun. Maybe I'll get around to thinking about the family Christmas card next week . . .
2 comments:
I'm so glad to hear the Choir and Creche is getting bigger and better every year. Lots of work, but a great missionary tool. I'm glad you like the Silent Night piece so much. I also love it. Sidenote: If it's me that played it two years ago, I've never been the ward music chair.
It was a wonderful event, and all the work you did on organizing the music came shining through in how well everything came off. Great job!
Post a Comment