Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Music to the Max

Christmas always seems more real to me when I jump into the festivities early in the season. We did a lot of that last weekend. It started Friday night with the Groton Ward’s second annual Choir & Crèche event. Lest you assume this is some folksy thrown-together-at-the-last-minute shindig, think again. Visitors walked through four beautifully decorated rooms perusing 170 nativity scenes from many different countries. And at the end of it all . . . . an amazing musical program, if I do say so myself.

In case you’ve been wondering what I’ve been doing with myself since leaving behind my Relief Society responsibilities, here it is (at least in part). As ward music chair I was responsible for coordinating five and a half hours of music spread across Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Performers came from across eastern Connecticut and Rhode Island and included everything from big choirs like the Pfizer Singers down to a wide array of soloists and small groups. We had a harpist, pianists, a violinist, and scores of vocalists. Think of just about any Christmas carol you’ve ever heard and at least one of these performers sang or played it. Our narrators and stage managers kept us on track, and everyone did a great job. My own involvement included singing in a double women’s trio, a mixed quartet, and the ward choir; performing a piano solo; and accompanying several other performers.

Saturday we were back at church for brunch and a visit from Santa. Gavin or Arwen were none too shy when it came to rattling off their most-desired items. And in addition to gobbling up the delicious array of cinnamon rolls, breakfast casseroles, fruit, and doughnuts, they had a great time hanging out with their friends. One of my favorite moments was catching Arwen putting an arm around each of friends Sarah and Sam and pulling them into a hug.

We are feeling merry!

4 comments:

Christine said...

So fun! I wish I could have been there to hear you sing and to see all the beautiful nativities. I set 25 of mine out this afternoon for our Ward Party/Creche exhibit.

LizzyP said...

I can't imagine that you did less than an amazing job. That stake (sounds like that region) is so lucky to have gotten the Jones to move in.

Jessica 7 said...

I have to tell everyone - Elise did an AMAZING job with the musical program. Yeah - no surprise. Thank you Elise!

Cailean said...

I can only imagine how amazing it was with your musical talent. There's something so special about the way music communicates spiritual things to us!