Following our weekend away, we settled down to some local fun for the remainder of the kids’ spring break. One morning we sat crisscross-applesauce in a local
elementary school gym to watch a puppet show production of Aesop’s fables. The kids had a good laugh at the silly characters and even recognized a few of the stories. (“The Boy Who Cried Wolf” gets some good play at our house.)
Sunny skies beckoned us to the park a couple of afternoons, where chilly winds reminded us that spring is still a work in progress.
It was so gratifying to see Gavin and Arwen run free and exuberant across the playground, chase friends over the equipment, and dig in the sand. And I had a great time hanging out with my friends too.
Mid-week a friend and I decided to take our weekly walking date to Bluff Point State Park, where the kids rode bikes down the trail while we caught up on each others' news and plans. At the point we pulled out picnic fare
as the kids scrambled on the rocks. The wind cut our festivities a bit short but didn't keep us from enjoying blue skies and a great time together. Spring break marks what has become my favorite tag sale (that’s ‘rummage sale’ for those of you not from around here) put on by the local Family & Child Services agency. We made quite a haul this year,
including rollerblades and ice skates, a ballerina sleeping bag, Gavin’s first set of K’NEX, a 9-quart canning pot, and much more. I’m not sure which wins as the highlight – finding Arwen perched on a table trying on a full ensemble of pink accessories, or watching her dance to the band that showed up halfway through our visit.
We celebrated the much-anticipated opening day at Cows & Cones with visits to the cows, rabbit, and chickens. We fell easily back into our usual flavors (strawberry for Arwen, black raspberry for Chad, and anything chocolate for me) and giggled over our ‘backwards meal’ (dessert before dinner). Back home, we watched “The Little Mermaid” with friends while gobbling a Big Y pizza and guzzling root beer.
One afternoon I consulted Gavin on our dinner menu, and he decided to play chef for the day. His choice was pesto pasta with focaccia and corn. He did a great job, and it was delicious!
In the last of our spring break festivities, Chad introduced us and some friends to his favorite hike in the Connecticut College arboretum. Then we walked over to the college’s Earth Day celebration where the kids made leaf prints, decorated pet rocks, and joined an impromptu kids’ soccer game.
It was our area's first day of unabashed sunshine, and for awhile I just lay on the picnic blanket soaking it in. (Today, on the other hand, it’s been raining cats and dogs.)Sunday night as we geared up for the coming week a shot of nostalgia hit and I felt sad to think of sending the kids back to school. That’s the mark of a great spring break!
1 comment:
I'm glad you had such a wonderful spring break. I think it's great that you find all the local things to do. I never heard of most of those things while we lived there. Good for you!
Post a Comment