Sunday, March 11, 2012

Getting on our blarney

Yesterday we joined several other families from the neighborhood for a St. Patrick’s Day celebration and kids fun run organized by yours truly with lots of help. The community center was all decked out for the holiday. We enjoyed performances by two 7-year-old step dancers from a local dance academy, then both learned about and listened to performances on the bagpipes by a local musician. I threw in a brief history of St. Patrick’s Day. After the entertainment the kids took to the streets, running a half-mile loop around the neighborhood. Gavin was the only one to take on the full mile version. They all came back to medals, cupcakes, and their own individual pots of gold. I think it’s safe to say a good time was had by all. I, for one, was glad when it was over!

Photo courtesy of The Day (our local newspaper). My apologies to the grandparents - I was too busy running things to snap any of our own.

In other news this week, Gavin has spent two hours each morning this week taking CMTs (Connecticut Mastery Test). His comment, “It’s cool because we get a whole bunch of stuff – gum and candy and extra recess.” This will go on for the next two weeks, then the kids get a little break.

No comments: