No, we’re not talking about the golden arches – this is the real thing! To kick off the second half of our spring break we headed down to
Coming off the airplane we made a quick lunch stop at Grandma and Grandpa’s house before driving down to
I observed from my preferred vantage point in the hot tub. Grandma and Grandpa even got in for a little while. Afterward we enjoyed dinner at a place that serves breakfast all day. Not surprisingly, During the drive down to Arches the next morning the scenery got redder and redder and redder, and the rock formations got
taller and taller (kind of reminds me of this Henry and Mudge favorite). Every once in awhile we’d come across a long line of off-road vehicles gearing up for some adventure. At one point we stopped at the side of the road to check out some of
At the visitor’s center the kids collected their Junior Ranger booklets – our sure guide to an educational visit. As we got out of the car I discovered it was WARM. Having forgotten what that felt like, I’d brought only one short-sleeved shirt on the trip. It was absolutely, decadently fantastic to walk around in short sleeves without a jacket all day long and to actually need sunscreen. I could get used to southern
Driving into the park we spotted all kinds of unusual rock formations like Balanced Rock and the Three Gossips (both included in the slideshow below). Our first stop brought us to the trailhead to Delicate Arch, the unofficial symbol of the state of
On our next short hike to Landscape Arch we discovered just how lucky we’d been to enjoy the previous tranquil hike. Going up and especially coming back we were hit with wind carrying sand and small pebbles. The kids found refuge in a sand ramp of sorts between two tall rock formations where they dug in the sand and ran and jumped. Lunch was a particular adventure, part of which was spent chasing napkins and food wrappers across the landscape.
Fortunately, the wind died down a bit by the time we reached Double Arch. On our way out of the park Arwen and Gavin passed off all their requirements and were solemnly sworn in as Arches Junior Rangers.
What a great time in a beautiful place with wonderful company. As much as we love hanging out at
5 comments:
Holy cow! We were just down there! We went down the first week of May. It was divine!
Beautiful- and I would have been right there with you in the hot tub!
What a great time for all of you! I loved reading about it and seeing our little Junior Rangers.
What a fun trip!
I just got done drooling over Alli's photos, and then I come across yours... how did I not know that you spent part of your trip at Arches? I missed that part. Anyway, I am really feeling nostalgic right now...
Post a Comment