Can we say TONS of snow here? More than I think I’ve ever seen in my life. My prayers were answered with Gavin and Arwen back at school for two days last week before theirs were answered with another snow day on Friday. By that time we had gotten smart enough to create a plan balancing work and play in stages throughout the day. The highlight for me was a tea party planned by both kids involving all the stuffed animals. We managed to stave off both general restlessness and crabbiness over too many chores, arriving at the evening’s pizza party not too much worse for the wear. After cowering at the capers of Sid in the original
Toy Story, we had fewer retreats up the stairs and some out-and-out laughter over the mock-Star Wars dialog between the fake Buzz Lightyear and Zurg in part two.
Thursday night I attended a highly inspiring Relief Society meeting about home storage. Our church encourages us to prepare for emergencies, including building up a supply of food, water, and financial reserves. While Chad and I have worked on this over the years, we were in need of a jumpstart and the information my friend Kelly shared was just what I needed. Among my favorite tidbits were an online
Food Storage Analyzer where you can enter an inventory of your storage and get a list of just what you need to round out your food supply. Also the Pump-N-Seal, a popular item for storing dry goods in glass jars. I sampled some boiled wheat (not bad) and freeze-dried strawberries (delish!) and garnered enough motivation to inventory our storage and hopefully take it to the next level. Thanks Kelly!
Saturday morning Chad and I split up to take Gavin and Arwen to their respective birthday parties. While Gavin navigated the sledding hill and downed hot chocolate, Arwen wielded a flamingo mallet in a
game of hedgehog croquet and attended a Mad Hatter’s tea party. Definitely a highlight for both of them.
And in the last of our news this week, after two and a half years of managing the music for our church congregation, I received a new calling. I will be teaching Gospel Essentials, a weekly Sunday School class focusing on the basics and fundamental principles of the gospel for those investigating or new to the Church. I’m excited for the chance to both focus on basics and work with a fabulous group of people.
After a couple inches of new snow today (in which I got some useful instruction in winter driving), we’re looking at several more in the forecast over the next few days. Any ideas of fun at-home activities???
2 comments:
Your life sounds so romantic--just like the wintery children's books ("Flannel Kisses" and "Snowsong Whistling" etc.) we've been reading out here in rainy Seattle! I have just found this site though, http://www.makeandtakes.com/, which has a Ton of fun crafty ideas for kids and parents to do, which may be helpful in your sparkling confinement! Also, I hope to (as they get a little older) interest my kids in extended puppet or dress-up theater, re-enacting or coming up with new plays and storylines. Maybe something like that could fill up an afternoon? I love your updates, Elise! Hope you have a wonderful week!
Claire
My kids decided to build with mini-marshmallows and toothpicks recently, which I just happened to have. They had a lot of fun, especially when Katia figured out how to build a pyramid and everyone helped out. We've had fun designing doll furniture out of cardboard, clothes for the stuffed animals out of paper, etc. Games and stories are fun too. And baking is always a fall-back for us. :) Good luck!
Post a Comment