Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Theater!

One of the benefits of the Magnet School is the great array of field trips. Located in downtown New London, the school is just a short walk from the Garde Arts Center, where the kids can attend theatrical productions several times a year since no busing is required. Last Friday Arwen’s and Gavin’s classes made the most of a half-day after a holiday and spent most of it at the Garde. And I made the most of the opportunity to catch the show with Arwen.

The walk to the theater was as much an adventure as the show itself. Each student was paired up with a buddy from the adjoining classroom. Arwen held hands with Amelia and me as we made our way across streets and waited at crosswalks. Mr. Leo held up the big STOP sign so everyone would let us pass.

Once inside the theater we settled ourselves into the comfy chairs and chatted with Sophie and her mom while we waited for the show to begin. We even spotted Gavin across the room. Finally the performers took the stage and we laughed with Father, Mother, Brother, and Sister Bear as the Berenstain Bears learned about healthy eating, teamwork, and not talking to strangers.

Back in the classroom I ate lunch with Arwen, Monet, Venkut, Pratap, and Huda. There was just enough time for a story with Ms. Sarah before the school day ended. I was a bit surprised at how thoroughly I enjoyed my day as a kindergartener!

That night Chad and I gave into Arwen’s and Gavin’s pleadings to check out the new pizza place. Though it was completely dark, we bundled up and walked to fully enjoy the neighborhood experience. And we weren’t disappointed – though the place was so busy we had to wait an hour for our pizza (during which we walked back home, played a game, and got the car), we ran into four people we know from around town and enjoyed a magnificent pizza. They even had our favorite – pesto with chicken.

The next morning was the continuation of last week’s work party. While I attacked the front yard leaves, Gavin and Arwen alternately raked and buried each other in pine needles. The yard is slowly but surely getting ready for winter.

Chad came home from a church leadership meeting full of sunshine and whisked us away for a hike at Pequot Woods. We investigated beaver dams and did a little bird watching before making our annual visit to Clyde’s Cider Mill where we gorged ourselves on fresh cider and donuts. Just wish we'd remembered to bring the camera. Even so, a great Saturday!

2 comments:

Katie said...

How Fun!! I LOVE the Berenstein Bears more than anything!! And you must share some pine needle coping tips...and don't tell me I have to just get out there and rake them- I don't want to hear that:)

Nana Shanna said...

How wonderful that you're able to enjoy and take advantage of all that is available for you and your family in your neck of the woods. Have a happy Thanksgiving!