Last weekend marked the conclusion of our long-running viewing of the Star Wars saga. To fully appreciate what this means, you have to understand that up to this point our kids’ television experience has been mainly focused on Blues Clues, Signing Time, Dora the Explorer, and Charlie and Lola. Having little exposure to an actual plot line, Gavin in particular becomes quickly terrified at any intense music or other indication of impending action. So I have to chock up to genetics the fact that they’ve not only made it through but are absolutely crazy about all the Star Wars movies. (That would be from Chad, in case you were wondering.)It all started as we were grappling to find movies we could all enjoy for our Friday night pizza parties. (Gavin’s Blue Angels documentary wasn’t quite doing it for Chad and me.) Several months ago we decided to try watching the first half of Episode 4: A New Hope. Despite spending a good portion of the movie alternately covering his head, cowering in fear, and leaving the room, Gavin couldn’t stop talking about it. (We couldn’t count the number of questions he tried to ask as he was supposed to be going to sleep.)
After a few months we’d made our way through the original trilogy. While Chad and I aren’t crazy about Episodes I-III, thanks to Lego the kids had discovered the Clone Wars and were hungry for every bit of the extended story. So we went for it. The extra intensity of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith made this past Saturday night the most entertaining of all, at least in terms of watching the kids. Arwen fixed her gaze directly on the screen through the most foreboding parts, while Gavin employed the usual theatrics. The tables turned, though, as things got grim with Padme, and Arwen needed some serious support to make it to the end of the movie. When all was said and done they were both thrilled to have finally seen Episode III.
In other news this week, Saturday night we attended a dinner dance at church. This is one of the few events where the kids eat pizza in front of a movie (rated G), while the adults hang out together and eat and dance. That was a lot of fun. It also provided the perfect opportunity to make the triple chocolate cheesecake I’d had on my mind for the past couple of months without eating it all myself. While not flawless, it did turn out much better than last year’s attempt.
We’ve continued to watch the Olympics. Last night found Chad and me gaping over the men’s aerial ski jumping. It’s hard to believe that these people are flying through the air, spinning and twisting, at the height of a five-story building and manage to land solid on their feet. The halfpipe - men's and women's - has been a blast to watch, too. At the risk of looking like Shaun White groupies, I'll admit we were pretty blown away by the Double McTwist.
Hope you've had a great week!
4 comments:
I was just thinking that I never commented on my favorite olympic moment, which was watching Shaun White win the halfpike. Torah Bright was fun to see too. I've enjoyed all the ski races and jumps as well, but the latest I've stayed up was for the halfpike. Watching Star Wars sounds like fun -- my kids are still stuck on Scooby Doo on Friday nights, but I don't mind too much. We have a young audience overall. So fun to read your blog!
I loved your storytelling in this post! We also have a Star Wars fanatic here. He has recently become obsessed with the Lego website's mini films and commercials for each of the ships. I have to laugh about it, but I do everything I can to steer him away from that website because he watches those short clips over and over and over.
Liz - Gavin and Arwen are likewise hooked on the Lego commercials online. They generally get 30 minutes on the computer a day but it's turning into ALL Lego commercials lately, so I'm having to rethink how we define computer time.
We're just about to start watching Star Wars with the boys! They are obsessed with all things STar Wars, but up til now have only seen the one-man star wars clips on you-tube. If you haven't seen them, you should check them out - hilarious!
Post a Comment