Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Grandma & Grandpa: Projects, Projects, Projects

After the subtle foreshadowing in the previous two posts, I’m sure you’re dying to hear about the tile project. Sometime the first morning Ken and Merry were here, I nonchalantly asked Ken if he was up to helping us tile the tub surround in our main bathroom. Maybe it’s just that I was oblivious while recovering from Arwen’s birth the first time we roped him into doing this in our Seattle house, but I was thinking it wouldn’t be that big a deal. Wrong.

I hadn’t forgotten that the project entails removing the walls around the tub. (Who could forget the massive mold formation we discovered under the existing Seattle tile?) I hadn’t exactly forgotten the need to re-plumb (though no one could have predicted the number of leaks that sprang up this time). And I definitely did not foresee the fact that the tub would be discovered to not be level after the new wallboard had been installed.

All in all, the tile ended up being a pretty consuming project for both Chad and Ken. I deeply appreciate all they did to get us on the path to the bathroom of my dreams! Now to finish removing that old wallpaper and order the light fixtures . . .

Lest you think the men had all the fun, Merry and I kept busy too. One morning she cleared through the cyclone of toys in the basement, motivating me to create those fussy little labels I’ve seen at certain friends’ houses, instructing forgetful family members and visitors alike on where everything is to be put away. (I'm proud to report they have actually been effective at keeping the playroom in order.)

Another day we sanded and applied Penofin to the 16 cedar boards that have been waiting to be assembled into Square Foot Gardening beds. By the time we were washing the brushes out with paint thinner, it became very clear to me why I’d been putting that project off for so long.

And throughout our stay, Merry managed to stay one step ahead every load of laundry, dirtied dish, and muddied floor we threw her way. I really appreciate all she does to help keep our house running while she’s here.

Thanks Ken and Merry for all you do to support us!

2 comments:

Cailean said...

Wow Elise what an undertaking! And we had no idea you had to do all that for the bathroom here in Seattle. Are those pictures all from your current home or are they from Seattle? We studied them and were unable to tell! Silly us.

Elise said...

These pics are hot off the press. And no, they don't look all that different from the Seattle ones.